- "BIGGEST BUSH WHOPPER" CONTEST
- from Council For a Livable
After one week we've received almost 1,000
replies to our request to choose the Biggest Bush Whopper. The
clear winner was this Bush claim, quoted in the Washington
Post on May 31, 2003:
- "But for those who say we haven't found
the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong.
We found them."
- Many of you chose to send in a quote you
found yourselves, here are some of the more popular:
- "I am a uniter not a
- "I do solemnly swear that I will
faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend
the Constitution of the United States."
- "The problem with the French is they
don't even have a word for 'entrepreneur'."
- Many of you also took issue with the
contest, either on the grounds that all of the whoppers were
equally egregious or, as one respondent put it, "How do you
decide, when virtually everything the man says is a
- The final tally is as
- 8.60% "I call my philosophy and approach
- 30.58% "But for those who say we haven't
found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're
wrong. We found them."
- 4.68% "We can cut the deficit in half
over the next five years."
- 13.93% "For diplomacy to be effective,
words must be credible, and no one can now doubt the word of
- 2.18% "The President's budget proposes to
invest $400 billion over 10 years to strengthen and improve
Medicare with prescription drug coverage."
- 2.39% "Our [Iraq] mission has
broad support from the international community, including troops
from 18 out of 25 current and future NATO countries."
- 4.46% "The President's economic policies
will create 2.6 million jobs over the next year"
- 7.94% "Now, I think things have gotten so
bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, we will,
in fact, be greeted as liberators."
- 8.16% "I refuse to give up on any child
and the No Child Left Behind Act is opening the door of
opportunity to all of America's children."
- 8.16% "Saddam Hussein had an advanced
nuclear weapons development program."
- 7.83% Other
- John Isaacs & Guy Stevens
- PS - The most important thing you can do
in 2004 is to vote. If you're not already registered to vote,
- 322 4th St. NE
- Washington, DC 20002
to Shock and Awe